The critics agree: there’s no better movie critic this year than Sam Adams!
That’s right: after distributing six Critic of the Month awards, we’re recognizing Sam Adams of CriticWire as 2013’s Critic of the Year. Sam has all of the qualities we love in a critic on an annual basis: he loves movies and loves to write about them after viewing them, and he does this throughout the calendar year!
In honor of his award-winning year of work, we turned to Sam’s fellow critics and asked them to talk about him. This should give you a sense of his impeccable taste:
- Boston.com’s Gary Dzen calls Sam one of “the original pioneers of the style as we know it in this country.”
- Emma Christensen of theKitchn thinks Adams is a bit “nutty,” but acknowledges that he’s the kind of critic who “makes you sit back in your chair (or, you know, your couch) and say ‘Ahhhh….'”
- Edward Sieger of The Express-Times says he was “so excited” to learn of Sam’s victory, later calling his work “intoxicating.”
- Gizmodo’s Brent Rose raves that Adams is “good … excellent in fact.”
- The only dissenter among critics we contacted was Boing Boing’s Rob Beschizza, who called Sam “unlikeable and mealy.” He also added that Adams was his “least favorite from the set” of critics we had to choose from.
As you can see, Sam has a lot of admirers in the film community — likely because his palette is remarkable! As for Rob Beschizza? Well, Rob’s an idiot, because Sam Adams is the 2013 Critic of the Year!
Congratulations, Sam, from all of us here at The Critics Agree!